SPOILER ALERT!

Landline

Landline - Rainbow Rowell
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply—but that almost seems beside the point now.
Maybe that was always beside the point.
Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her—Neal is always a little upset with Georgie—but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go without her.
When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.
That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts. . . .Is that what she’s supposed to do?
Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

I know this book was supposed to be romantic, but it was really more like reading about a relationship that should never have even begun. They keep saying how much they love each other, but it sure as hell didn’t seem like it. They even said they were unhappy in the marriage, but they love each other. I mean, when Georgie, the main character, is talking to her husband in the past she wants to tell him that there relationship is not all bad, mostly because of their kids, and that they are happy 70% of the time. To me, that doesn’t seem like a good relationship. They also wanted two different things; she wants to be a TV writer in California, and he wants to live back home in Nebraska. She even talked about how she wasn’t going to invite her best friend, Seth, to her wedding because her husband didn’t like him. Seth, her BEST FRIEND who she has known longer than her husband and her own little sister. That is not ok. Luckily Seth invited himself.

Also, the whole plot of the story starts because Georgie decides to not go with her family to her in-laws house for the holidays because of work, but the entire time she neglects work, arrives late, and always clings to her phone in case her husband calls. I think in the whole week her husband was gone she only went to work once. What the hell? What was the whole point of her staying? She wouldn’t even go home, she stayed at her moms the whole time.

I really had high hopes for this book, and the plot sounded really good, but unfortunately it did not live up to it. I enjoyed her other books, but this one was nowhere near as good. I honestly found myself thinking she should tell her past husband not to marry her. If you like reading a novel about a depressed woman who spends the whole book beating herself up because of the decisions she makes and feeling sorry for herself, this book is for you. Me. I’ll stick with The Lake House.