SPOILER ALERT!

The 5th Wave

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

This book sort of reminded me of Independence Day. Aliens come to Earth with no reason other than to kill all of its inhabitants. They do this in waves, hence the name. When you start the book, 4 waves have already happened killing off a good portion of the world population. I liked this; get right to the point. You find out more of what happened as you continue reading, instead of progressing with it. I enjoy getting right into the action.

My only problem with the book is the switching point of views. Not only do you have the main character, Cassie (who is awesome), you also have her brother, Evan, and also Ben. And of course, it doesn’t tell you whose p.o.v. you’re reading from when the chapter starts. There where a few times when I was like “who the hell is this person?”

Anyway, other than the shifting pov’s, the characters were enjoyable; Cassie for sure was amazing. Why do I say that? Because she is a teenage girl surviving during the end of the world. Unlike other stories, she realizes what it takes to survive; do what needs to be done, kill them before they kill you, and trust no one. Injured soldier? Nope, I’m gonna shoot you. Cute guy trying to help me? No way bro, I don’t trust you at all. Even through this she still has that teenage girl feel to her. She misses her family, thinks about her crush, and gives lots of attitude.

If you love Sci-Fi, and even if you don’t cause I don’t even care for Sci-Fi, I’d recommend this. I read somewhere that they are making a movie of it too. That would be pretty cool, to be honest.

4half